The site of Châteauvert was already known in the antiquity.

The vestiges of a Roman villa unearthed in the eastern part of the village certify that the site of Châteauvert was already known in the antiquity. In about 1060 a village appears to have been built around the castle.

At the end of 2003, an important medieval necropolis was discovered on the territory of the commune.

During the 13th century Châteauvert was part of the seigniories of Bertrand de Châteauvert and of the Villeneuvois, lords of Flayosc, from whom Charles 1st of Anjou bought back all feudal rights. Later on Charles ceded the seigniory of Châteauvert to the archbischop of Marseilles in exchange of jurisdiction rights of uptown Marseilles.

The village of Châteauvert suffered greatly when the plague ravaged the region and in the 18th century the place was virtually uninhabited. Since then the people of Châteauvert have lived in fortified country houses ("bastides"), vineyards or in places whose names can be rediscovered along with their history.

Apart from a peak in the middle of the 19th century, the population permanently living in the area of Châteauvert remains around one hundred people. Since marriage partners could not easily be found "in the village", the origin of its inhabitants is quite varied. In addition couples continuously arrived or left.

Today the "village" consists only of the town hall, formerly also a school and, facing it, the Church of Transfiguration. Each building is situated on either side of the Argens river whose two banks are connected by a bridge. Close by we find the "Auberge de Châteauvert".

More infomation on the website of the town.


Calendrier des activités en Provence Verte